In 1714, Henrich Van Brevoort, an early Dutch settler, paid
4000 pounds for a plot of land that stretched from Fifth Avenue
east to the Bowery and north beyond 14th Street. The Brevoorts
held most of their farm land for many generations, only selling
a bit at a time. In 1834, a later Henry Brevoort built a fabulous
house at 24 Fifth. This Brevoort sat with his gun pointed
at city officials, when they tried to extend 11th Street for
Grace Church through his land, even though the Grace Church
architect, the renowned James Renwick, Jr. was related to
digress: the same Mr. Renwick built a house for himself at
21 Fifth in 1851. Renwick's dear friend Washington Irving
visited there repeatedly. This explains the bronze plaque,
dedicated by Mark Twain's daughter in May 1925, that currently
The Brevoort's northeast corner. Her father lived in the Renwick
house from 1904-1908 and wrote The Mysterious Stranger there.
house at 24 Fifth stood until 1925, when it was razed to build
the Fifth Avenue Hotel. The most notable of the Brevoort's
family holdings was the Brevoort Hotel, which opened in 1854
and stood on the site of the present Brevoort co-op at 11
Fifth Avenue. The Brevoort Hotel was purchased by a French
restaurateur and businessman, Raymond Orteig, in 1902. Mr.
Orteig turned this Village hostellery into the trendiest,
hottest hangout of the early 20th Century. The basement café
was modeled after those of his hometown Paris, with marble
topped tables and mirrored walls and partitions. Literati
the likes of Eugene O'Neill, Isadora Duncan, John Reed, Theodore
Dreiser, John Dos Passos, and Edna St. Vincent Millay, only
to mention a few, had to use their celebrity to guarantee
Orteig became so successful in his new country that he decided
to try to enhance Franco-American relations. In 1927, he offered
a $25,000.00 prize to the first pilot to fly non-stop between
New York and Paris. The rest, of course, is history known
by all. What is not commonly remembered is that following
his ticker tape parade, Charles Lindberg collected his prize
at the Brevoort Hotel.
at The Brevoort
old Brevoort Hotel has passed, but its site at the gateway
to Washington Square has retained its place as the aristocrat
of the contemporary scene. Like its predecessor, the Brevoort
attracts the cultural elite. The lobby boasts important murals
by the artist Paul Sample that depict early life in colonial
New York. The lovely limestoneand polished brick façade,
the courtyard garden, circular driveway, wood paneled elevators
and well decorated lobby and hallways make The Brevoort a
premier Fifth Avenue residence.
One of The Brevoort's early residents was Buddy Holly, who chose the Brevoort above all other Village residences in the late 1950's. Like so many Villagers before him, he was a visionary.
Dorothy Miller Cahill, a Curator of the Museum of Modern Art, chose it as her home. As a pioneer of modern art, responsible for choosing artists for MOMA to exhibit, she had a sensibility that lends itself to the artistic village. The walls of her apartment were adorned with some of the most famous modern artists' works, most of whom were her personal friends.
Dr. Richard Goldstone, biographer of Thornton Wilder and esteemed professor of English Literature at NYU, made The Brevoort his residence until his death in 1999.
Judith Scheindlin lived here before her TV hit, Judge Judy.
In fact, many New York Supreme Court judges have resided here.
Marilyn Weigner Associates have recently sold apartments to the rich and famous, but we choose to be discreet concerning our current celebrity residents. We at Marilyn Weigner Associates understand The Brevoort and its historical importance. We also understand its location, amenities, rarity, architectural integrity and its current market value.
from The Brevoort
Weigner Associates is the leading broker at The Brevoort.
For each year for over two decades, we have sold more apartments
at The Brevoort than all brokerage firms combined. We consistently
set records at The Brevoort in all categories of apartments
from studios to penthouses. We recently set the Greenwich
Village record, at The Brevoort, for the highest
sale of a post-war co-op in Greenwich Village.
Brevoort East is a full service building including doorman,
concierge, garage and gym in the heart of Greenwich Village.
Built in 1963, the Brevoort East's brick and limestone facade
sits elegantly on the corner of University Place at 9th Street.
The architectural treatment of the ground floor facade centers
around a public entrance which includes a beautiful marble
and glass entrance way leading to the concierge desk. The
wood panel lobby features a sitting area facing its lovely
garden. The mural, which dominates the main lobby wall, is
of a scene of 19th Century Washington Square. According to
the Cooperator Magazine, the Brevoort East is one of the top
10 cooperatives in New York City.
residents of this 324 unit building consider it an honor to
call the Brevoort East their home.
make it our business to know what's happening at The Brevoorts.
Our clients are glad we do.
Weigner Associates, Inc.
|41 West 12th Street, New York, NY 10011
Phone (212) 851-6314; Fax (212)388-0843